The Mists of Straith
Loyal, steadfast and stoic, the dwarves of Straith have retreated from the surface world to shape the caverns beneath the mountains into their promised land of Mordanth. They aim to use powerful magic to shape the caverns around them into a dwarven paradise. While they are usually brusque and clipped with their speech, much wisdom has often been found in the words of dwarves.
Dwarves are a short and heavily muscled race that stand approximately a foot shorter than most humans. They pride themselves on the length of their hair, but out of fairness to the women, the males often choose to remain shaven, or keep tightly trimmed beards. Elder dwarves often have hair longer than they are tall, something seen as a point of pride in dwarven society.
Most dwarves live in the tunnels and caves of Mordanth aiming to expand the country deeper underground. They do not take kindly to anyone attacking the stone of their home with picks or other harsh means of excavation – all of their expansion is done solely with magic. Dwarven society is centered primarily around these shapers, and the deep respect given to them and to the military. The virtues of loyalty and trust are deeply ingrained in most dwarves, and their society reflects these desires.
Dwarves are patient with most other races, thinking them only slightly foolish for being willing to abide the mist above ground. However, any outside who attempts to delve too deeply into Moranth, quickly earns the enmity of any dwarves who know of the attempt. Further, dwarves have little patience for Kenku, believing as many do, that they are products of the war, but willing to give them a chance to redeem themselves.
Few dwarves heed the call of adventure, hewing to their famous loyalty to family and nation. Many of those that do choose to adventure are severely frowned upon by dwarven society. However, it is not unheard of for the governing body of Moranth to send lone dwarves out into the mists to fulfill a task before reporting back, and these dwarves are sent time and again, but still respected members of the community. In general, sanctioned dwarves are either clerics, druids, or fighters, while unsanctioned adventurers are rogues or fighters.
- +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
- Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
- Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
- Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon.
- Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison and against spells and spell-like effects.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against undead.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Craft checks that are related to stone or metal items.